Editors’ Note: The Toast is closing July 1st and our freelance calendar is full, so we are not accepting any new pitches at this time. Thank you!
The Toast welcomes your submissions! We’d prefer proposals to finished pieces, but that’s neither a hard nor fast rule. We pay all our freelance writers, unless they tell us not to pay them as a form of unofficial progressive taxation.
We are especially interested in original reporting and longform journalism (particularly, though not exclusively, about women and women-adjacent issues), short fiction and poetry (preferably strange), personal narratives (ditto), videos, illustrations and essays. If you are incorrigibly bossy, or intractably odd, or happily obsessive, so much the better.
We accept only original material; we cannot publish anything that has appeared elsewhere, even if it’s just on your personal blog or Tumblr. We do not accept simultaneous submissions.
Worth noting: Have you gone through a messy, protracted breakup within the last year? Are you young and disaffected, perhaps juggling a full-time job with being a painful bummer in the big city? Please do not send us your poetry, unless you are the reanimated Sylvia Plath, in which case we’d honestly prefer you write a personal narrative about what it’s like to be reanimated.
Please, no poems about eggs or blood or being metaphorically consumed by a lover. Please do not send us any poems entitled “Stillbirth.”
Submissions for The Toast are chiefly handled by Nicole Cliffe or Nicole Chung, but can be addressed to the portmanteau of your choosing.
Should you appreciate further guidance, please mosey over here.
AND NOW THE LEGALESE
Before we can accept any Content from you now or in the future, please confirm that you have read and agree to this Submissions Agreement (“Agreement”), which will govern any Content that you provide to us that is accepted for publication on the Site.
1. We do not wish to receive or hold any materials from you in confidence. Therefore, you agree that no confidential relationship or obligation of secrecy is established between you and us with respect to your Content. You irrevocably agree not to assert any claim of idea appropriation, misappropriation, or any other similar claims of any kind with respect to your Content.
2. If your Content is accepted for publication on the Site, you can work through our author profile page to promote yourself and broadcast your voice to our audience. Please understand, however, that we may publish without restriction other content on the same or similar topics as that of your Content. We make no representations, warranties, or promises whatsoever regarding the nature or level of exposure that you or your Content will receive through our Site, and you agree that we have no obligation to you under this Agreement, or under any law, or in equity, in connection with any of your Content that we may use. We expressly disclaim all warranties of any kind, express or implied including, without limitation, any warranty of merchantability, quiet enjoyment, or fitness for a particular purpose.
3. If you wish to have your Content published under the name “Anonymous” we will still need your real name, address, phone number and email address. While we will endeavor to honor requests to publish content anonymously, we make no guarantee that your Content will be published anonymously and we disclaim any responsibility whatsoever for any harm resulting from not publishing your Content anonymously. Moreover, even if your Content is published anonymously, we make no guarantee that your identity will remain anonymous and we disclaim any responsibility whatsoever for any harm resulting from the intentional or unintentional disclosure of your identity.
4. You understand that our Site receives significant traffic and is accessible to anyone on the Internet. You should not provide us with any Content that is private. Anything posted on our Site will be available to anyone on the Internet. You are solely responsible for any legal or other repercussions that occur as a result of your Content posted at our Site. We assume no responsibility or liability which may arise from your Content. We are under no obligation to modify or delete your Content once it is posted on our Site.
5. We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to (a) edit the Content, (b) supplement or co-mingle the Content with our trade names, trademarks, and service marks and with content provided by us or by third parties, (c) remove the Content from www.the-toast.net and (d) benefit commercially from the Content.
6. You represent and warrant to us that (a) you are 18 years of age or older and have provided us with your real name, address, phone number and email address; (b) the Content is an original work created by you that has not been published elsewhere; (c) you own the copyright in the Content; (d) the Content does not contain any express or implied statements of fact that are untrue, false, or misleading; (e) the Content does not infringe the copyrights, trademarks or other rights of any third party; (f) the Content does not contain any viruses, worms, malware or other harmful or destructive material; and (g) the Content does not contain any defamatory, libelous, obscene, pornographic, threatening, abusive, harassing, or similarly unlawful material. You will indemnify and hold us harmless against any damages sustained or expenses incurred (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) in connection with any claim, action or proceeding based on an actual or alleged violation of these representations and warranties.
7. You acknowledge that there is no partnership, joint venture, employment, consulting or other such relationship between you or us (each a “Party” and together the “Parties”).
8. The terms of this Agreement are binding upon, and will inure to the benefit of the Parties, including their respective licensees, successors, and assigns. We may assign, license or transfer any or all of the Rights you have granted to us to any other person or entity. Except as expressly provided in this Agreement, there are no third-party beneficiaries to the Agreement.
9. If any provision of this Agreement is found to be illegal, invalid or unenforceable, such provision will be enforced to the maximum extent permissible so as to effect the intent of the Parties, and the validity, legality and enforceability of the remaining provisions will not be affected or impaired, unless continued enforcement of the provisions frustrates the intent of the Parties.
10. No delay or failure by either Party in exercising any right under this Agreement, and no partial or single exercise of that right, will constitute a waiver of that or any other right. Failure to enforce any right under this Agreement will not be deemed a waiver of future enforcement of that or any other right.
11. This Agreement shall be interpreted, construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of Utah without regard to conflict/choice of law principles. Each Party hereto irrevocably consents to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of any federal or state court within the County of Salt Lake, Utah in connection with any matter arising out of this Agreement, agrees that process may be served upon them in any manner authorized by the laws of the State of Utah, and waives and covenants not to assert or plead any objection which they might otherwise have to such jurisdiction, venue, or process.
12. This is the entire agreement between the Parties, and any changes must be agreed to in writing by the Parties.
If you have read and agree to the above Submissions Agreement, you can direct your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.