32. They will be condemned eternally, together with their teachers, who believe themselves sure of their salvation because they have letters of pardon.
OUCH BUT FAIR ENOUGH BECAUSE I HATE PRESUMPTION SO IT STANDS TO REASON THAT LITERALLY EVERYONE ELSE DOES, “Hi, it’s me, Heaven, I…believe everything is in order” fuck outta here
33. Men must be on their guard against those who say that the pope’s pardons are that inestimable gift of God by which man is reconciled to Him;
I get it, that’s like waving a paid-for parking ticket at the DMV and insisting it’s your license and registration, which I have pretty much done
34. For these “graces of pardon” concern only the penalties of sacramental satisfaction, and these are appointed by man.
“Guys this forgives you for ONE thing not ALL things,” again that’s fair because I usually mistake when someone forgives me for one mistake as a blanket approval of my entire being
35. They preach no Christian doctrine who teach that contrition is not necessary in those who intend to buy souls out of purgatory or to buy confessionalia.
CONFESSIONALIA, WHAT A DOPE WORD
36. Every truly repentant Christian has a right to full remission of penalty and guilt, even without letters of pardon.
“ALL YOU HAVE TO BE IS SORRY FOR SOMEONE TO FORGIVE YOU,” SURE WISH THAT WAS ALWAYS THE CASE
37. Every true Christian, whether living or dead, has part in all the blessings of Christ and the Church; and this is granted him by God, even without letters of pardon.
dead people’s feelings also matter, I can get behind this, I plan on having feelings forever, no matter how dead I am
38. Nevertheless, the remission and participation [in the blessings of the Church] which are granted by the pope are in no way to be despised, for they are, as I have said, the declaration of divine remission.
“I’m not MAD at the pope, you guys, he does some great stuff” very smart strategy, Martin!
39. It is most difficult, even for the very keenest theologians, at one and the same time to commend to the people the abundance of pardons and [the need of] true contrition.
“I don’t blame you all for failing, this stuff is REALLY hard” I FEEL like this is a dig at…SOMEONE. Erasmus???
40. True contrition seeks and loves penalties, but liberal pardons only relax penalties and cause them to be hated, or at least, furnish an occasion for hating them.
“Obviously I will take it as a given that we all LOVE suffering” oh Luthy you get me
41. Apostolic pardons are to be preached with caution, lest the people may falsely think them preferable to other good works of love.
more people SHOULD preach with caution, good advice for all eras
42. Christians are to be taught that the pope does not intend the buying of pardons to be compared in any way to works of mercy.
ooh look who knows so much what the pope is thinking, MARTIN
43. Christians are to be taught that he who gives to the poor or lends to the needy does a better work than buying pardons;
I don’t have a good joke about this, this is a good piece of advice
44. Because love grows by works of love, and man becomes better; but by pardons man does not grow better, only more free from penalty.
Aw! This was actually really lovely!
45. Christians are to be taught that he who sees a man in need, and passes him by, and gives money for pardons, purchases not the indulgences of the pope, but the indignation of God.
OH VERY NICELY PUT, I think you are really hitting your stride around the halfway mark, look forward to future thesing!
Mallory is an Editor of The Toast.